[ppml] Policy Proposal: Global Policy for the Allocationof theRemaining IPv4 Address Space

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Mon Jul 23 19:20:12 EDT 2007

Hi,

This is about the same type of comments I did in the last LACNIC meeting
(May) when this proposal was presented.

1) You can never be fair with different regions fixing a distribution of
addressing space that doesn't correlate to something "fixable", instead of
looking into utilization.

2) You can't decide up-front that 5 /8s make sense for this, especially
because being a global policy they need to be approved with the same text in
all the 5 RIRs, and the time may take to agree on that, may be 25 /8 are no
longer available. So I suggested to use a formula for N.

3) I think this type of policies, if approved in all the regions, which I
doubt, will be against the regions that promote them by different reasons,
for example, "granting" them more time to keep going with IPv4 while the
rest of the world will be moving to IPv6.

4) Last, but not least, I'm against policies that try to change the natural
trends of existing allocations. They don't make sense. Time is short and we
should, instead of wasting time, use ALL those extra time-slices that each
one of us has, in moving to IPv6.

I've indeed analyzed all this kind of policy proposals and other ways of
mitigating the IPv4 exhaustion in a paper that you can find at
http://www.ipv6tf.org/index.php?page=news/newsroom&id=3004.

Regards,
Jordi