[ppml] Policy Proposal: Global Policy for the Allocationof theRemaining IPv4 Address Space

Durand, Alain Alain_Durand at cable.comcast.com
Mon Jul 23 17:27:36 EDT 2007

This is one major issue with the current policy proposal.
It neither defines the **value** of N (Nx5 is the floor) nor
the **process** to decide a value for N.

The way it is written, this will be the equivalent of
signing a blank check. This proposal would be more
palatable if it were to be rewritten with a specific
value of N. Say N=1, N=1.5, N=2,...

Then we could understand and discuss the practical effect of this
proposal,
ie how much 'waste' (or delayed used) this introduce and how much
to the left does this push the cliff...

As a side note, this proposal is revisiting one of the major tenet
of IP allocation: demonstated need. IMHO, this is setting a
fairly dangerous precendent, as it could be reuse in each region
by saying: let's re-divide whatever the local RIR has equaly among its
member...

   - Alain.