[ppml] Policy Proposal: Global Policy for the Allocation of theRemaining IPv4 Address Space

Jason Schiller schiller at uu.net
Mon Jul 23 17:56:35 EDT 2007

I am trying to understand what is the desired effect of this policy.  As
far as I can tell, the goal of this policy is to assign the last chunk of
IP addresses to each of the RIRs in order to accomplish two things.

1. Allow each RIR to be certain about how much of the remaing space they
have.

2. Give each RIR time to implement new policy to make the runout more
managable.

If that is the case, then does it make more sense to talk in units of
18-month supply of addresses instead of number of /8s?  For example, when
IANA has only a 36 month supply of IPv4 addresses, IANA will automatically
allocate a 36 month supply of addresses to each RIR based on the current
demand of each RIR. (maybe round up to the nearest /8)

This does three things.
1. It addresses Alain's concerns about justified need.
2. It give all RIRs a roughly equal amount of time to craft their
individual policies.
3. It will minimize the amount of time where one RIR is exhausted and
demand rushes to the remaining RIRs.  (not sure if this is a concern)

__Jason