[ppml] Policy Proposal: Global Policy for the Allocation of theRemaining IPv4 Address Space

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon Jul 23 15:35:08 EDT 2007

> A predictable final allocation at the endgame seems reasonable.

Reasonable?

When we hit the IPv4 exhaustion point, some organizations will be unable
to obtain the IPv4 addresses that they need to continue growing the
network. This policy propsal brings that point forward so that IPv4
exhaustion will happen sooner. They propose that 25 /8's be reserved for
this special endgame. This means that when we reach T minus 25 /8's,
some organizations will be unable to obtain the IPv4 addresses that they
need to continue growing the network.

Perhaps it will be fewer organizations? Or perhaps it will be more
because people will not be as far along their IPv6 deplyoment. We know
that IPv4 exhaustion is not a brick wall because problems will be caused
by events that happen before total exhaustion. This policy proposal
plans to make that chaos happen sooner, when we are less prepared to
deal with it.

This is a bad, bad policy and we need to soundly reject it.

--Michael Dillon