[ppml] Policy Proposal: Resource Review Process

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Wed Jul 18 10:17:59 EDT 2007

> Since ARIN has no legal power to force a legacy-only holder
> to provide justification, any response on their part would be
> completely voluntary.

I have no legal power to force you to reply to my messages, yet time and
time again, you do reply.

I think this whole "legal power" thing is a red herring. We should try
to do the best thing for the whole IP address-using community and not
worry about whether or not we have the legal power of enforcement. In
the USA, where ARIN is incorporated, legal power is a very vague and
malleable thing. Several levels of legislature change it all the time as
do a large number of quasi-governmental regulatory bodies and
authorities, not to mention the courts which have the last word on who
has what legal powers. The situation is so complex and fluid that we
should not try to second guess it while creating policy.

After all, we have legal counsel who can advise the AC and BOT when the
specific language of a policy proposal is formally presented to them.

--Michael Dillon