[ppml] Policy Proposal: Resource Review Process

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Wed Jul 18 09:13:55 EDT 2007

Thus spake "Dave Mohler" <MOHLER at graceland.edu>
>A couple of concerns:
>
> - Would it be appropriate/important to specify in the policy that
> the "results of the review" communicated to the organization in
> paragraph 3 include the list of resources required to be returned?
> (And I realize the intent is to require an amount of resources to be
> returned and allow the organization some flexibility in determining
> which specific blocks of IP addresses they could most easily
> return consistent with the policy requirements.)

ARIN _could_ make suggestions, but I don't want to _require_ that they do
so, and your parenthetical comment explains exactly why.  The org has more
information about the relative "value" of their various blocks, how easy
different parts could be renumbered, etc.  ARIN only cares about what's used
vs not.  If the org voluntarily returns space, they get the carrot of
picking what gets returned; if not, they get the stick of ARIN picking.

> - Paragraph 5 doesn't give any timeline in relation to paragraphs
> 3 and 4.  For instance, if ARIN notified someone yesterday and they
> don't voluntarily return the resources today, would ARIN be authorized
> by this policy to start the 6-month clock of paragraph 6 as early as
> tomorrow?

In theory, that's possible, but it assumes ARIN to be evil.  Either way,
exactly when the clock starts doesn't matter so much since one can negotiate
a longer renumbering period if needed.

> - Is it the intention of paragraph 8 to require legacy resource
> allocations to be reviewed with an organization's non-legacy
> resources?

Yes.

> What about an organization whose only IP allocation is as legacy?
> Would a review of these legacy resources be valid only upon the
> organization's application for additional IP addresses?  (Would
> this review be triggered by new or existing policy associated with
> application process?)

Since ARIN has no legal power to force a legacy-only holder to provide
justification, any response on their part would be completely voluntary.
Presumably, such an org would only respond if they were willing to
voluntarily return space if the review showed that such was warranted.  I
wouldn't expect staff to waste their time on legacy folks that weren't
cooperative.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov