[ppml] Incentive to legacy address holders

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Wed Jul 11 17:14:42 EDT 2007

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> That sounds perfectly fair to me.  Now, let's talk about how long the
> latecomers are expected to pay extra.

The latecomer's aren't paying "extra". The price went up, just like the
price of property rises in the late stages of development.  The first
people in take the biggest risks, and get the lowest price.

Second, the Legacy holders have an agreement which ARIN doesn't have a
right to break or modify. ARIN is the custodian of the records, not the
owner of the records.

> You see the problem isn't that the latecomers are paying extra.  The
> problem is that they are paying extra and some of the homesteaders
> expect the situation to continue FOREVER.

Since there are so few legacy blocks, and since ARIN isn't short of
money, and since your charges are nominal, this isn't really the problem
or even _a_ problem, is it? Indeed, your expenses continue to decrease
as more assignments are made.  ARIN now has a 20+million dollar surplus.
The maintanance costs on a small number of long established blocks (half
of which haven't changed in 15 years) is pretty trivial. So, I don't
think you are really concerned money about here.

> >Likewise, the Internet is here because of the efforts and risks of
> >Legacy holders.  You don't seem appreciative of that.
>
> I would think that getting a free ride for so long is a good
> expression of appreciation by the community?

It hasn't been a free ride for legacy holders.  The latecomers are the
ones getting the free ride: using free protocols, free software, and
free operational experience that the legacy holders developed for them.

As has been said previously, ARIN is the custodian of records for the
IANA (DoC).  Even the non-legacy delegations don't belong to ARIN.
ARIN is just the agent of the IANA. The legacy holders have pre-existing
agreements with the IANA. ARIN has no standing and no justification to
interfere with those prior agreements.

The true purpose of this proposal is not outreach, nor identification of
abandoned delegations. Those purposes could be carried out by a
newsletter, and those purposes are also not unique to Legacy blocks, but
are relevant to all blocks.  So, when the legitimate purposes are
completely and better served by alternate means, what does that mean for
the purpose of this proposal?

		--Dean

617 344 9000