[ppml] Policy Proposal: Authentication of Legacy Resources

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Tue Jul 10 21:03:49 EDT 2007

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007, Leroy Ladyzhensky wrote:

> All this talk about legacy holders is really interesting...
>
> comments range from actions the would end up bringing legeal nightmares of
> insane magnitude, to.. "just let IPv6 take care of all this".
>
> But has anyone yet come up with a number of how many IP addresses legacy
> holders actually hold? whats the total number of /24's?
> This has been asked before but I never saw any information or anynumbers...

This is a bit old but may have data you're looking for:
  http://www.completewhois.com/statistics/rir_ratios.htm

> also, most that have commented on this list that are legacy holders
> seem to have only a /24 or something just a bit larger..

Larger number that have this, but they represent smaller proportion
if you could based on amount of ip space.

> I guess my stand on this... is all this even going to be worth the effort.

Not for /24 holders and similar holders. It might be if you count on
organizations that got /16s (class-b) from Internic yearly on.