[ppml] Policy Proposal: Authentication of Legacy Resources

Andrew Dul andrew.dul at quark.net
Tue Jul 10 12:49:20 EDT 2007

>  -------Original Message-------
>  From: Rich Emmings <rich at nic.umass.edu>
>  Subject: Re: [ppml] Policy Proposal: Authentication of Legacy Resources
>  Sent: 10 Jul '07 07:02
>
>  Opposed as written.

Is there something specific in the policy that you oppose or do you oppose the entire concept?

>  Much legacy space predates ARIN which makes for odd grandfathering issues.

All legacy space predates ARIN.  Legacy space is defined as space that was assigned/allocated before ARIN.  This policy is intended to try and clean up those "odd grandfathering issues", by formalizing the relationships between legacy space holders and ARIN.

>  I'd want to at least hear from ARIN vis a via the workload on this.

ARIN staff will prepare their assessment of the workload required to implement this policy as part of the policy development process, that assessment has usually been posted shortly before the public policy meeting.

>  Finally, the contact data may be 15 years old, but that doesn't relate to
>  it's veracity.

True, I didn't mean to imply that just because data is old it is in accurate, but I believe that in general the older data gets the more likely it is to be incorrect.  We might not have an wholly accurate picture of how many legacy records are incorrect, but many records are incorrect.  Thanks to those legacy holders out there who have valid contact information in their records.

> If it's out of date, how do you get a hold of someone to let
>  them know it's out of data?

Through general outreach to the Internet community.  Through mailing lists, conferences, notices in publications, and other methods of broadcasting information.

Andrew