[ppml] IPv4 "Up For Grabs" proposal

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Tue Jul 10 01:04:09 EDT 2007

Thus spake "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm at ipinc.net>
> So then if the membership doesen't want IPv4 to be removed
> from the registries, then what is going to be created is a
> situation where nobody has any incentive to remove their IPv4
> reachability, nor remove the ability for their customers to reach
> IPv4 sites.

Once IPv6 is fully working and IPv4 is no longer necessary, there will be a
financial incentive to remove it.  The problem is how long it will be until
we reach that point.

> However, if we do this, then don't you see that ALL IPv4 holders,
> not just the legacy ones, will never have any incentive to drop
> IPv4.

Running two protocols instead of one costs money.  Paying v4 fees as opposed
to the lower v6 fees costs money.  The beancounters will shut off v4 as soon
as they can get away with it.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov