[ppml] IPv4 "Up For Grabs" proposal

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon Jul 9 17:51:16 EDT 2007

So then if the membership doesen't want IPv4 to be removed from the
registries,
then what is going to be created is a situation where nobody has any
incentive
to remove their IPv4 reachability, nor remove the ability for their
customers
to reach IPv4 sites.

In short, IPv4 will NEVER "go away"  Your proposing a future were we add
IPv6,
and nobody ever gives up IPv4 resources.  So the Internet merely becomes an
Internet of both IPv6 and IPv4, not an Internet of IPv4 only or an Internet
of
IPv6 only.

I'm not debating we could or couldn't do this technically.

However, if we do this, then don't you see that ALL IPv4 holders, not just
the
legacy ones, will never have any incentive to drop IPv4.

If all of that is OK with you, then why would an existing paying IPv4 holder
today
who doesen't need numbering, want to bother going to IPv6?  After all you
just
said everyone will be maintaining their IPv4, so what need is there for an
IPv4
holder to load up IPv6?  The only incentive I see would be to reach a
network
that is IPv6 ONLY, such as a network that needs numbering post-IPv4 runout.
This puts a terrible burden on these networks because since they are new,
they
cannot be reached by a lot of the Internet, and it is not likely that they
can
provide enough of an incentive to get IPv4-only holders to update to reach
them.

Ted