[ppml] Incentive to legacy address holders

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Mon Jul 9 23:22:35 EDT 2007

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Face the facts.  Your getting something for nothing.  Your getting
> tracking and visibility in a system you aren't paying for - in fact,
> in a system that -I'm- paying for.  (or more accurately, my employer,
> who due to paying for this system has less money he can pay me, and
> so forth)  You certainly don't seem appreciative of this.

Because its not true. Legacy holders established the Internet. We took
the risks to career and business to get things to where you are, just
like the homesteaders of the 1800s. You are a latecomer, and deserve to
pay more to benefit from our efforts.  You're buying into a phase 3
development. (low risk, established)

Homesteaders in the 19th century took large risks. Now, farmland is
about ~$3k per acre.  Subdivided housing developments go for multiples
more. Maybe you notice that many of your Credit Card bills come from
Sioux Falls, SD.  I suppose that means there are a fair number of
transplanted New York bankers working in Sioux Falls for Citibank and
other banks.  Are they paying more than the homesteaders?  Yes. Is that
unfair?  No.  If they would have risked life and limb in the 1800s,
they'd have got the same deal.  And if today those transplanted New
Yorkers working in Sioux Falls began talking against the property rights
of homesteaded families, do you think there would be some quick
problems? You bet. The homesteaded families risked life and limb to
survive, settle the territory, establish rule of law, and make it
livable so companies like Citibank could move in and make a profit.
The only benefit they got from that risk and effort was the thrill,
adventure, and cheap property.

Likewise, the Internet is here because of the efforts and risks of
Legacy holders.  You don't seem appreciative of that. Legacy holders
need little or no attention from ARIN, and thereby require less
expenditure than the newbies who come in confused, easily misled, and
making trouble.

> And, as I asked before, how are you going to move your setup to IPv6?

Read RFC4038, and hope for the best???

How about oh, maybe, use IPv4 mapped IPv6 addresses: "::FFFF:<ipv4>"?

Did that change? Did I miss something? Could be I did. Please tell me
there is some problem with that.

		--Dean

617 344 9000