[ppml] Policy Proposal: Authentication of Legacy Resources

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon Jul 9 21:22:55 EDT 2007

In a message written on Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 07:24:56PM -0400, Dean Anderson wrote:
> BTW, people also assert without any evidence that legacy records aren't
> correct or uptodate.  This is no truth to this assertion that I can see:
> Legacy holders have as much interest as anyone else in keeping records
> uptodate.  More interest, probably. Legacy holders have existed for more
> than 10 years, and so tend to be stable businesses understanding role
> contacts, and so the records don't need to be changed. Most records
> probably won't need to be changed for a long time to come. The recency
> of update has no bearing on the accuracy of the data.

ARIN staff has asserted that a large percentage of the record
hijacking attempts are made on Legacy space records specifically
because contact information is out of date.  When ARIN staff detects
these hijacking attempts they must attempt to find correct contact
information, which has been reported as difficult in many cases.

One of the reasons ARIN went to yearly billing was experience at
ARIN and elsewhere that bills sent less frequently than once a year
(the USPS mail forwarding interval, BTW have a significantly higher
return as undeliverable rate.  This is one of the reasons we have
yearly billing, it helps keep records fresh.

I'm sure ARIN staff could provide more details at the next meeting if
you are interested.