[ppml] Policy Proposal: Authentication of Legacy Resources

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Mon Jul 9 19:24:56 EDT 2007

Someone already said that ARIN is just the steward of records.  I'd like
to add to that and point out that ARIN doesn't own the registrations
records any more than SRI or NSI owned the registration books before
ARIN existed. Even more specifically, ARIN is an agent of the IANA,
which is now a function of the US Department of Commerce. Legacy holders
already have a relationship with the DoC through earlier agents, and do
not require a new relationship with ARIN. ARIN is merely the custodian
of records.  In that light, there are a number of problems with the
current RSA.

Perhaps this custodianship should be changed once again, or at least put
up for bid periodically, so we can have some new management once in a
while.

BTW, people also assert without any evidence that legacy records aren't
correct or uptodate.  This is no truth to this assertion that I can see:
Legacy holders have as much interest as anyone else in keeping records
uptodate.  More interest, probably. Legacy holders have existed for more
than 10 years, and so tend to be stable businesses understanding role
contacts, and so the records don't need to be changed. Most records
probably won't need to be changed for a long time to come. The recency
of update has no bearing on the accuracy of the data.

		--Dean

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, Andrew Dul wrote:

> While I agree that we shouldn't be taking away information, the fact
> that approx. 50% of the legacy records have not been updated since
> ARIN's inception tells me that more needs to be done to make sure that
> the records are updated as best as possible.  This policy is an
> attempt to conduct an outreach to legacy resource holders with some
> consequences for not taking any action.
>
> By setting a sunset time line for Legacy reverse DNS records we
> hopefully can accomplish two goals.  1. Formalize the relationship
> between the ARIN and active legacy address holders.  2. Start the
> process of marking address space that is no-longer in active use.
> The goal here is not reclamation but rather updating the database with
> accurate information from Legacy holders and continuing that
> relationship long-term.

617 344 9000