[ppml] ARIN Outreach to Legacy Holders

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jul 6 11:21:22 EDT 2007

On Jul 6, 2007, at 6:52 AM, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> In a message written on Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 11:31:33PM -0400,
> Keith W. Hare wrote:
>> I've been the technical point of contact for our IPv4 /24 address for
>> some time.  I don't ever remember seeing anything from ARIN asking
>> us to
>> sign an RSA and pay a yearly fee.  So, I've refused to respond to an
>> invitation I haven't received.
>>
>> I went to the ARIN web site to see what I would have to do to sign an
>> RSA for our IPv4 /24.  I don't immediately see anything that says "If
>> you are a legacy address holder, this is what you do..."  So, I've
>> refused to follow a process that isn't visible.
>
> Keith makes an interesting point.  Should ARIN create a web page
> clearly linked off the home page with instructions on how to sign
> an RSA and become a Member for legacy holders?  They could then
> mass-mail all of the legacy holders with the web page.

Becoming a member and bringing your resources under RSA are
separate and unrelated things for most legacy holders.  There really
are at least four sets of directions needed, but, yes, having a
"Legacy Holder Information Page" which is easily reachable from
the front page would be a good idea IMHO.  Here are the four
sets of directions needed on or from that page:

+	Legacy End User who wishes to bring their addresses into the
	ARIN process and does not have any RSA-related resources.

+	Legacy End User who also has RSA-related resources and would
	like their legacy resources added to their existing RSA.

+	Legacy ISP who wishes to add their legacy resources to their
	current ARIN membership.

+	Legacy End User who wishes to join ARIN as a member.

> For all of our attempts to do things with policy, is one of the right
> things to do to get the community behind a suggestion that ARIN
> attempt
> some very direct outreach to the legacy holders?

YES!!!!

Owen