[ppml] Policy Proposal: Resource Reclamation Incentives

Michael K. Smith - Adhost mksmith at adhost.com
Thu Jul 5 17:17:59 EDT 2007

As
> it
> stands, all one needs for a v6 allocation is to be an "existing, known
> ISP"
> or have a plan to make 200 assignments, and all one needs for a v6
> assignment is to qualify for a v4 assignment.
>
> Presumably, anyone with v4 swamp space already meets the relevant
> standard,
> so what needs to be changed?  Can you provide an example of someone
> with v4
> swamp space who _isn't_ elligible for v6 space already but should be?

I think we're on the same page here.  We (not you and I) seem to be
overly concerned with incenting or dis-incenting the swamp holders into
returning their space to ARIN.  If they can get IPv6 space with no
hassles and there are no real benefits to reclaiming the space in terms
of buying us additional time in a IPv4 world, why do we care?  I'm not
sure how modifying ARIN policy in regards to swamp holders is going to
promote the transition to IPv6.

Regards,

Michael K. Smith
mksmith at adhost.com (work)