[ppml] Policy Proposal: Resource Reclamation Incentives

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Jul 3 14:00:16 EDT 2007

> If no portion of the block appears in the DFZ, then ARIN would attempt to
> contact the last known holder (and any likely successors in interest) to ask
> if the block was in private use.  If they were unable to get any response,
> or if the response was negative, then it would be assumed to be dead and
> subject to reclamation.

and three years later, the holder decides to announce and it becomes
lawyerville.

there is a root problem.  rightly or wrongly, folk were given space with
what we would consider today to be insufficient constraints on contact,
fees. justification of need, ...  that was a contract, whether we like
it or not.

the world has changed.  we would like to change those contracts.  well,
we're gonna have to *negotiate* that.  and acting unilaterally or
arbitrarily will only polarize and make a mess we just don't need.

randy