[ppml] Policy Proposal: Resource Reclamation Incentives

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Tue Jul 3 13:36:55 EDT 2007

Thus spake "Seth Mattinen" <sethm at rollernet.us>
> Stephen Sprunk wrote:
>> Thus spake "Kevin Loch" <kloch at kl.net>
>>> A $1/yr per address block, or other similar low flat rate fee
>>> would shake out the 'ghost' registrants and would be beneficial
>>> to everyone.
>>
>> As would a policy that directed ARIN to attempt to determine
>> the "liveness" of legacy blocks by checking the BGP tables
>> and making reasonable attempts to reach the last known
>> holder (~50% of which haven't been updated since ARIN's
>> formation).
>
> Except not all of it is behind a public AS. People usually put more
> stock in a notice when there's a bill attached.

If no portion of the block appears in the DFZ, then ARIN would attempt to
contact the last known holder (and any likely successors in interest) to ask
if the block was in private use.  If they were unable to get any response,
or if the response was negative, then it would be assumed to be dead and
subject to reclamation.  If the response were positive, ARIN could suggest
they update their contact information to keep WHOIS current.

There is no need to send a bill, and I am doubtful that people will respond
more positively to a bill than to a polite email or telephone call.  I would
expect a bill appearing out of nowhere to get stuck in the accounting and/or
legal departments -- not IT, which is who we really want to hear from.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov