[ppml] Policy Proposal: Resource Reclamation Incentives

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon Jul 2 16:59:20 EDT 2007

In a message written on Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 08:36:21PM +0000, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
> ARIN does have an obligation to these address holders...  the long/lean of
> the argument is that they received their addresses under certain
> terms and conditions...  and forcing changes on those t&c's in a
> unilateral manner might be problematic.  Just like folks who signed

Or not.

Some of us registered our domain names back at a time when they
were free.  At some point NSF/NSI decided we should pay a yearly
fee, and simply started charging it.  There was no revolt.

APNIC passed a policy (prop-018) that required all legacy space
holders in that region to sign a service agreement and cryptographically
protect their resource records.  There was no revolt.

Let's put the cards on the table.  If ARIN were to pass a policy
"All legacy holders must sign an RSA by December 31, 2008 or their
entries will be removed from whois and in-addr.arpa." who would
sue?  And yes, I mean sue because I'm sure a number of people would
complain that they had to do it, but who thinks they have a strong
enough case, and that it's worth spending $200k on court costs
rather than agreeing to a $100 per year fee?

Legacy holders WILL NEVER like being brought into the system.  If
I had a legacy assignment I would hold out as long as possible, and
throw up every bit of FUD I could find.  But at the end of the day
I'd know I should be part of the system, and that it's far cheaper
and easier to be a part of the system then to rebel.

I am in support of Owens polcy in general, with the one issue being
the one I've already posted -- nothing new from ARIN without a
signed RSA.  However this carrot, such as it is, should be followed
up with a stick, weilded as gently as possible.