[ppml] Policy Proposal: Resource Reclamation Incentives

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Mon Jul 2 09:55:27 EDT 2007

Thus spake <michael.dillon at bt.com>
>> If the address holder wishes to aggregate into a single block,
>> ARIN may work with the address holder to arrive at an
>> allocation or assignment which is equal to or smaller
>> than the sum of their existing blocks
>
> Why equal to or smaller? If the agreggate allocation is LARGER
> than the sum of the existing blocks and yet still is fully justified,
> what is wrong with that?

There's already existing policy covering that, and there's no reason to give
people incentive for something that benefits them (i.e. getting more
addresses).  This proposal gives people an incentive for something that
benefits the community (i.e. returning addresses).

> Note that your wording means that an organization which is about to
> apply for additional addresses, needs to wait until after they have
> received their next allocation, then immediately return it back with all
> their old addresses to get an aggregate allocation. This is twice the
> hassle for both ARIN and the applicant organization.

I'm sure if an org wanted to submit requests for new space and aggregation
at the same time, ARIN staff would be able to do that in a single step
instead of how you describe.

> The key criteria must be that the allocation given to the org is fully
> justified. There is no need to pick nits and have a different
> requirement than a normal allocation.

The point of the proposal is to deal with orgs who have legacy space that
_isn't_ justified.

> If an organization can reduce the number of distinct route
> announcements into the public Internet by aggregating multiple
> allocations into one, then we should allow and encourage that.

We already have an aggregation policy for that.

> But not by creating a special class of address holder, the IP
> address nobility.

There already _is_ a special class: legacy holders.  Counsel has indicated
that all we can do is incent such folks into becoming part of the normal
class, not force them into compliance, and this proposal attempts to use one
of the few carrots ARIN has at its disposal.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov