[ppml] Policy Proposal: Resource Reclamation Incentives

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon Jul 2 07:49:14 EDT 2007

> If the address
> holder wishes to
> aggregate into a single block, ARIN
> may work with
> the address holder
> to arrive at an allocation or
> assignment which is
> equal to or smaller
> than the sum of their existing blocks

Why equal to or smaller? If the agreggate allocation is LARGER than the
sum of the existing blocks and yet still is fully justified, what is
wrong with that?

Note that your wording means that an organization which is about to
apply for additional addresses, needs to wait until after they have
received their next allocation, then immediately return it back with all
their old addresses to get an aggregate allocation. This is twice the
hassle for both ARIN and the applicant organization.

The key criteria must be that the allocation given to the org is fully
justified. There is no need to pick nits and have a different
requirement than a normal allocation.

Since an org needs to do a complete review of their addressing situation
before applying under this policy, it should allow, and perhaps even
encourage orgs to apply for both an additional allocation and the
aggregation process at the same time.

As far as all the language about exemption, I strongly disagree. Every
holder of IP address resources must sign the same RSA that we sign and
pay fees according to the same fee schedule under which we pay fees.
There must be a level playing field.

If an organization can reduce the number of distinct route announcements
into the public Internet by aggregating multiple allocations into one,
then we should allow and encourage that. But not by creating a special
class of address holder, the IP address nobility.

There are parallels to this in regard to immigration status in the USA.
Illegal immigrants live and work in the USA but pay no taxes. The
government could either give these people citizenship and allow them to
continue to be free from paying taxes, or the government could give them
citizenship and require them to follow all the laws that other citizens
follow, including paying income tax. In both cases, the illegal
immigrants' past transgressions are being forgiven. The various US
amnesty bills since 1986 have forgiven past transgressions but have not
given special status in the future.

--Michael Dillon