[ppml] Policy Proposal: Removal of Ipv6 Operational Informationfrom NRPM

cja@daydream.com packetgrrl at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 21:03:38 EST 2007

The other point to make here is that although there may be a "global policy"
for things like IPv6 or even IPv4 (RFC2050),  the operational mechanism and
guidelines very significantly from RIR to RIR.  How you apply, what
mechanism for verifying utilization, even in some cases whether you can
assign a certain size block to a customer, vary from RIR to RIR.  There are
also guidelines like the ones I was proposing we strike that are used by
ARIN but not necessarily by any other RIR.   Then there are things like
actual IP address allocation/assignment policies that vary from region to
region.

It is not clear to me that we're ever going to have all this stuff
globalized.  Meanwhile they're not really policy so it would be good to have
them all in one place and available for the ARIN community.

I am agreeing with you Owen  :-)  I think we have to start with the ARIN
community and then if the idea gets adopted in other regions that's great.

---Cathy