[ppml] Multi-disciplinary Approach to IPv4 Address Space Exhaustion

Jim Weyand jweyand at computerdata.com
Wed Aug 29 16:12:41 EDT 2007

Several months ago somebody suggested that the community's needs might
be well served by inviting some non-technology people to participate.
In that spirit I sent emails to the Department Chairs of the Department
of Economics at the University of Chicago, University of Michigan and
Georgia Tech.  I don't know any of these people and I have no idea if
they will choose to participate.  If you know anybody from one of these
departments or you have your own favorite economist please invite
somebody with an outsider's perspective.

For your convenience I have included a copy of the email I sent to the
various professors.

Dear Professor XX:

I am writing to invite you, your colleagues and your students to
participate in an interesting discussion regarding IPv4 Address Space
Exhaustion.

IP Addresses are used to identify unique elements and groups of elements
(or hosts and networks) on the Internet.  A reasonably accurate
description of the problem can be found at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv4_address_exhaustion

There is an on-going discussion (via email) about how to best serve the
needs of the Internet community which, at this point, is largely
dominated by technologists.  At least one participant has suggested that
a multi-disciplinary approach may lead to a better solution.  If you or
somebody else from the University of XX are interested in this
discussion you can subscribe to the email list by going to:

http://www.arin.net/mailing_lists/index.html

Participants in this list include many key players in the Internet
governing bodies as well as interested persons like myself and I am sure
your thoughts regarding distribution of scarce resources will be well
received.

If you have any questions you are welcome to contact me directly.