[ppml] Free Market

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Sun Aug 26 11:54:38 EDT 2007

Thus spake "Iljitsch van Beijnum" <iljitsch at muada.com>
> As I've said before, I don't think large scale reclaiming is going
> to do all that much for us, but if it would, I can't believe that lack
> of a few signatures would be enough to stiffle the growth of the
> world wide internet that has already become crucial to the
> economy of many countries.
>
> Not sure how it works in the US, but here in Holland if they want
> to build a railway through your property, the government CAN
> take that property away from you under some circumstances.

It's called "eminent domain" here; various governmental units (and a few
private ones, like utilities and railroads) can forcibly acquire your
property in return for the fair value if you refuse to sell.  The use of
eminent domain is sometimes called a "taking".

However, ARIN does not have the power of eminent domain, and it's unclear
anyways that the government has the power to forcibly acquire sets of
integers, which are rather different than real estate.  OTOH, there's also
no law that says ARIN, as a registry, is required to "remember" the
registrations of integers that it doesn't have a contract for.  Since
integers are not property, there's not really much parallel with eminent
domain, since ARIN "forgetting" legacy registrations would not be a
"taking".  You can't take a number away from someone.  How could anyone,
even a government, revoke your right to use the number 13, for instance?

( There are interesting intersection with the AACS LA here: they claim
ownership of an unspecified number of 128-bit integers, and they also claim
they'll sue anyone who uses those numbers in certain ways.  I doubt the
courts will find that argument meritorious, especially since people can't
know whether or not a particular integer is "owned" by the AACS LA because
they refuse to list them. )

None of this stops people from litigating the matter, of course, if we do
things they don't like.  However, we've been told to make policy as if such
things were not a problem and leave it to counsel to sort out.  If we want
to propose a policy that revokes all legacy registrations (not that I'm
endorsing that), we can do that.  The BoT is free to shoot it down if the
legal risks outweigh the benefits, but that is not our problem here on PPML
unless and until that happens.