[ppml] Policy Proposal: Definition of known ISP and changes toIPv6 initial allocation criteria

Kevin Loch kloch at kl.net
Fri Aug 24 14:50:16 EDT 2007

michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
>> It would be a stronger and more valid
>> requirement if it were revised as follows: A LIR is an
>> organization that reassigns and/or reallocates at a minimum a
>> IPv4 /23 or IPv6 /44 worth of space to their own downstream customers.
>
> Where does /23 and /44 come from? Is this an attempt to reintroduce the
> concept of NLAs and TLAs from the deprecated RFC 2450?

This does not define what an ISP/LIR is in the scope of addressing
topology, it defines the phrase "Existing ISP" for the purposes
of the ISP initial assignment criteria.

It's an attempt to have a precise definition that ARIN staff can use
when evaluating the "Existing ISP" clause.    Currently "Existing ISP"
is ambiguous and ARIN staff is declining ISP's that use /18's worth of
space from upstreams.

I don't have a problem deleting the "Existing ISP" option but if it is
in the policy there needs to be a useful definition.  The /23 or /44 was
what I thought was a reasonable definition.  I'm sure there are many
possible definitions but I was going for one that is easy for ARIN
staff to measure against without extraordinary paperwork.

> As far as the IETF is concerned, an ISP is an entity that receives one
> or more /32 allocations for reassignment and reallocation to their
> downstream network infrastructure including that of customers.

If that is the definition the ARIN policy community wants to use for
"Known ISP" then we need to delete that option from the ISP initial
allocation criteria.  It would create a circular reference.

- Kevin