[ppml] Policy Proposal: Definition of known ISP and changes toIPv6 initial allocation criteria

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Fri Aug 24 11:14:17 EDT 2007

>It would be a stronger and more valid
> requirement if it were revised as follows: A LIR is an
> organization that reassigns and/or reallocates at a minimum a
> IPv4 /23 or IPv6 /44 worth of space to their own downstream customers.

Where does /23 and /44 come from? Is this an attempt to reintroduce the
concept of NLAs and TLAs from the deprecated RFC 2450?

I suggest that this type of suggestion does not belong in the ARIN
public policy process but belongs in the in the IETF. We have an
agreement with ICANN and the DoC, to work in cooperation with the IETF
which means that we should not try to change the design of IPv6.

As far as the IETF is concerned, an ISP is an entity that receives one
or more /32 allocations for reassignment and reallocation to their
downstream network infrastructure including that of customers. If we
want to call this entity an LIR, fair enough. And if we want to define
them by magnitude of IPv6 address space, then we should say than an LIR
is an entity that reassigns/reallocates one or more /32 blocks of IP
address space to downstream networks.

--Michael Dillon