[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv6 Assignment Guidelines - version 3

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Thu Aug 23 18:34:00 EDT 2007

> Delete the text in 6.5.4.2 and Replace the text in section
> 6.5.4.1 with the following text:
>
> Assignments by LIRs /48 or smaller will not be reviewed by ARIN.
> Assignments greater than /48 will be reviewed to see if the
> additional space is warranted according to the 0.94 HD ratio
> policy.  If the space is not warranted, ARIN will consider
> the excess space to be available for a different assignment,
> lowering the overall utilization score of the LIR.

This seems to apply to second and subsequent allocations but the
language does not clearly tie it into section 6.5.2.

And anyhow, it could be years before there is any significant volume of
requests for second allocations. Why do we need to waste time on this
problem now? For this reason, I am opposed to this policy. Whether
current policy is right or wrong is irrelevant, since the magnitude of
the wrongness is limited to a minor squeak due to the small number of
IPv6 LIR allocations.

If a few dozen LIRs come back in the next two years and ask for a second
/32 and ARIN rubberstamps the requests, it will do no harm to anyone,
even if all of those RIRs have recklessly squandered their first
allocation.

--Michael Dillon