[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv6 Assignment Guidelines

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu Aug 23 10:05:49 EDT 2007

In a message written on Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 03:55:20PM +0200, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
> I think this is a ridiculous discussion. /48 should be the default and in
> fact never APNIC and ARIN should have gone to the /56. RFC3177 is clear.
[snip]
> LIRs/ISPs should provide a /48 to all customers, no justification, no extra
> cost. The value of the service must come from other applications and
> services still to come, but they will never come if we fall again into the
> ultra-conservation thing.

My straw man #2 does exactly that, sets a /48 as the "no justification"
size.  It also provides a mechanism for people who don't fit in a
/48 to get a /47, /46, etc by using the HD Ratio.

It would seem you would be in violent agreement, but from your message I
get the impression you are not.  Why?