[ppml] Policy Proposal: Decreasing Exponential Rationing ofIPv4 IP Addresses

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Wed Aug 22 23:01:51 EDT 2007

Thus spake "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm at ipinc.net>
>>From: Dean Anderson [mailto:dean at av8.com]
>>
>>Some people think that ARIN staff doesn't have enough time to
> look as hard as they'd like.
>
> ARIN has what - a surplus of 10 million bucks in the bank right
> now?  And they can't hire more people?  Review of applications
> can be done in parallel it is not a serial process with everything
> funneling through 1 person.  Adding more people makes it go
> faster.

That depends on your definition of "faster".  Processing a request takes the
amount of time it takes; that latency is unavoidable.  Throughput can be
increased to a point by having as many analysts as there are concurrently
outstanding requests, and that will reduce the latency due to waiting for an
analyst to get to yours, but that's it.

My understanding is that the vast majority of time is spent trying to figure
out whether someone's request meets policy or not, particularly for
first-time requestors, because of insufficient documentation.  If we want to
reduce that part of the latency, we need to fix the policy that created
it -- not hire more people to perpetuate it.

>>> Let's get this thing over and done with and go on to the next thing.
>>
>>Ah. Well, running out of IPv4 won't get it 'over and done with'.
>
> Yes it will.  It will make it plain to everyone that if they have IPv4
> existing they better think about switching over.  Soon!

I agree; by stretching out the useful life of IPv4, we waste time and money
that would be better spent migrating to IPv6.  That is sufficient reason for
me to oppose this proposal.