[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv6 Assignment Guidelines

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Wed Aug 22 19:51:20 EDT 2007

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> On 23-aug-2007, at 1:31, Scott Leibrand wrote:
>
>> I've heard this argument (in favor of /60 instead of /56) before, and
>> either would be fine with me, but I still don't understand why
>> renumbering from a PA /56 into a PA /48 would be any harder than
>> renumbering from a PA /48 to another provider's PA /48.
>
> The choice isn't the one between renumbering from a /56 to a /48 vs a
> /48 to a /48, but from a /60 to a /48 vs a /56 to a /48. I think /60
> -> /48 is a lot less painful. Once you move from a /60 to a /48 (or
> skip the /60 because you know you're not a residential user in the
> first place) you won't have to renumber when you deploy more subnets;
> only when changing ISPs.

Ok.  I'm assuming that networks would renumber due to change ISPs a lot
more often than they would need to renumber due to network growth.  I
would also anticipate that any network growing larger than a /56 would
qualify for an IPv6 PI /48, and would therefore only need to renumber
once.  I don't think the same could be said of all networks growing
beyond a /60.

-Scott