[ppml] Policy Proposal: Expand timeframe of Additional Requests

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon Aug 20 16:34:13 EDT 2007

No, you wouldn't still unless a large number of networks agreed to recognize
that organization

When we interconnect to upstream feeds, they check WHOIS and do not allow us
to advertise IP blocks that we aren't showing as owners in the ARIN
registry.
All networks in the last 8 years we have bought service from have had this
requirement.

I could set myself up tomorrow as "some other organization willing to
provide a registry" but I still wouldn't be able to BGP advertise an IP
address unless it is in ARIN as belonging to me.

>However, as ARIN's policies are set by
>consensus, the situation where ARIN's policies diverge significantly
>from the policies demanded by its constituency is unlikely to arise.
>The real issue is whether the participants in ARIN's policy making
>process want to keep the FCFS model or would prefer to move to a
>market-based model.

market-based models are a disaster for most centralized common products.
Anywhere that it is possible for a monopoly to form, market-based models
are destroyed by collusion between the few suppliers of the resource and
the government has to intervene and regulate.

This really doesen't matter when your talking about something like
investment-grade diamonds.  Nobody -needs- investment-grade diamonds, and
there's enough industrial-grade diamond mines outside of DeBeers control
for competition to form.

It does matter when your talking about something like electrical power,
which where when market-based models were introduced (during so-called
deregulation efforts) it has been a disaster.

This is why the government is so intimately involved in oil production.
Both as a regulation-maker and military support of oil field extraction
efforts by so-called private companies.

Ted