[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv6 Assignment Guidelines

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Sat Aug 18 13:45:40 EDT 2007

On Aug 18, 2007, at 9:28 AM, Paul Vixie wrote:
>> However, people are finding interesting ways to be irrational.
> like using a /64 for a subnet?

2^64 subnets is still an insanely large number.  While it is ...
questionable (particularly given how most large scale enterprise IT
folk get twitchy when you say "stateless auto-configuration"), I
don't see this as a real problem.  It just turns the address space
from 2^128 to 2^64.

> or like PI /48's to recreate the IPv4 swamp?

No.  I was speaking more of allocating /20s, /19s, and shorter,
particularly given the liberalization of PI allocation policies.
People seem to forget that there are the same number of /19s (etc) in
IPv6 as there are in IPv4.

You want to conserve address space?  Never _EVER_ allocate longer
than a /32.  If a requester has demonstrated they have consumed the /
32, grow it to a /31.  If they have demonstrated they've consumed
the /31, grow it to a /30.  Etc.  Never reserve space or allocate
sequentially, simply use sparse allocation with bisection (that is,
after all, why each RIR received a /12).

Speaking of that, why is ARIN still allocating IPv6 sequentially?

Regards,
-drc