[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv6 Assignment Guidelines

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Sat Aug 18 12:28:07 EDT 2007

> However, people are finding interesting ways to be irrational.

like using a /64 for a subnet?

or like PI /48's to recreate the IPv4 swamp?

> The real problem isn't IPv6 address exhaustion, it is the risk of
> overwhelming the routing system.

yea, verily.

>                                  I would worry that allocating
> longer prefixes under the theory that it is less wasteful of address
> space might increase the chances that those longer prefixes would
> show up in the routing system.

i don't think that's going to be the cause of overwhelming the routing
system.  PI /48 and LAN /64 will do that quite adequately, even if we
never use more than 1% of the IPv6 pool in the doing of it.

ps. not speaking as an arin trustee in this message.