[ppml] too many variables

John Paul Morrison jmorrison at bogomips.com
Mon Aug 13 15:45:57 EDT 2007

No, the real point is that there is a big gap between the best current
CPU technology, and what is available for sale today in high end routers
marketed at service providers.
I mean a single core, 1.2 GHz processor is quite a bit behind a 3 GHz,
multi-core processor which is available today on high end, qualified and
tested servers. And probably behind by more than 18 months too.

I think this is proof that there are a lot of other factors driving
network technology, because if there were really enough demand or market
for it, we'd see 3GHz multicore procs for sale in routers NOW, not in 18
- 24 months.  Since the control plane side of the equation is at least
18-24 months behind the curve, I think this makes it very hard to argue
that BGP and Internet routing are in dire shape and are about to collapse.

Another point: how many people run their boxes at 80 or 90% CPU in well
managed production networks?  Most people I know would like to see them
practically idle, with the line cards or silicon doing the work, or at
least under 50%. So if most well run networks are running boxes with
CPU's 18 months behind the Moore's law curve, and running them at 50%,
wouldn't this mean that they are running about 36 months behind?

I'd say we're not really looking at CPU bound problems.