[ppml] too many variables

Christopher Morrow christopher.morrow at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 00:24:03 EDT 2007

On 8/10/07, vijay gill <vgill at vijaygill.com> wrote:
> I guess people are still spectacularly missing the real point. The point
> isn't that  the latest generation hardware cpu du jour you can pick up from
> the local hardware store is doubling processing power every n months. The
> point is that getting them qualified, tested, verified, and then deployed is
> a non trivial task. We need to be substantially behind moores observation to
> be economically viable. I have some small number of route processors in my
> network and it is a major hassle to get even those few upgraded. In other
> words, if you have a network that you can upgrade the RPs on every 18
> months, let me know.

Also, the problem isn't JUST the RP... there are many parts to this
problem, focus on the RP alone isn't going to solve the problem in the
longer term. I suspect this is also in the area of 'a PITA to get
tested/validated/installed' for any trivially sized network since it
may require architectural changes to the devices.

-Chris