[ppml] APNIC policy proposal to create a regulated market in IPv4 addresses

William Herrin arin-contact at dirtside.com
Mon Aug 6 19:01:49 EDT 2007

On 8/6/07, Kevin Loch <kloch at kl.net> wrote:
> In a worst case scenario we filter at /20 across
> the board  and anyone using longer prefix gets to move.

Kevin,

I wouldn't bank on it. There are relatively few scenarios where a
financially healthy DFZ participant who isn't right at the edge of the
DFZ (where its easy to add a default route) chooses to filter prefixes
at /23 or shorter instead of buying newer routers.

Sure we'll threaten to filter. Some of us will actually implement
provisional filtering. Then the sales folk will ask us to look in to
why the very upset Mr. Big Customer can't stream mp3s from
bobsgarageband.com at work even though it works fine on his cable
modem at home. That'll bring us face to face with the harsh reality
that ram is cheap and finding customers isn't. YFRV already foresees
this and has prepared a product line just for us.

What's more likely IMO is that if he hasn't already, your favorite
router vendor will tweak BGP and reorder large updates so that shorter
prefixes converge first. Folks on /24's will suffer a longer outage
during convergence than folks on a /16, but the routes will all be
honored.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--