[ppml] APNIC policy proposal to create a regulated market in IPv4 addresses

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon Aug 6 18:15:50 EDT 2007

No it wouldn't.  The people writing the filter would make an exception for
the /29 and life would go on.

What -would- eventually collapse is if a whole -lot- of bigger, richer
fish started announcing /29s.  Eventually you would have to push back on
to those sales and financial people the following cold facts:

1) We need a set of bigger, more expensive, more powerful routers

2) We need to devote a 6-figure-salary network engineer full time to
maintaining the filters in the bigger, more expensive, and more powerful
routers. (adding in those /29's)

Your sales and marketing people would probably welcome it, that is, if
your someone like Verio.  Because they would figure that if Verio has
to spend this kind of money that all Verio's competitors would have to
do so as well.  And Verio has more money so the other competitors would
die first.

This is kind of like the Ronald Reagan view of how to defeat Russia in
the Cold War.  Outspend them.  I don't know if it worked, but it sure
gave us some awfully big budget deficits.

Ted