[ppml] APNIC policy proposal to create a regulated market in IPv4 addresses

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Mon Aug 6 13:49:32 EDT 2007

On 6-aug-2007, at 18:29, Scott Leibrand wrote:

> For that and many other reasons, it would make much more sense (in the
> worst case scenario) for everyone to filter according to the minimum
> allocation size for each IPv4 /8, as published by the RIRs (i.e.
> http://www.arin.net/reference/ip_blocks.html and
> http://www.apnic.net/db/min-alloc.html).

Unfortunately, the RIRs, don't bother making this actually useful.
Worst offender is RIPE. They say that the longest prefix for 91/8,
193/8 and 194/8 is a /29. Filtering on this still allows for 6
million routes, which will kill any router that I've ever heard of.
91/8 only has /24 and bigger, 193/8 has 8 /29s and 194/8 4 /28s.
(Total number of prefixes < /24 is 79, all from RIPE.)

What would need to happen is that only a single prefix length is
allocated from any given block. This means no longer reserving
adjoining space for future growth, but this doesn't help aggregation
in practice anyway so it's no big loss.