[ppml] alternative realities (was PIv6 for legacy, holders (/wRSA + efficient use))

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Thu Aug 2 17:29:05 EDT 2007

I'm honored.

> If you posit the unlikely universe in which IPv6 isn't
> deployed when the IPv4 free pool runs dry, which option would
> be best for ISPs:
>
> a) telling new customers to go away
> b) obtaining address space via "non-traditional" means from
> one of the holders of the "legacy" O(100) /8s?

c) assign IPv6 space and provide a transition mechanism.
d) put them behind NAT.
e) give them a smaller assignment than they could
previously have justified and help them use it well.

I'm going out on a limb and say that the consensus is that
a market would be some degree of ungood.

If so, then maybe there are ways to prevent it, stall it,
or make is less ungood.  Stalling long enough is equivalent
to preventing.  There's a Soft Landing proposal that
attempts to fill the gap, and several others.  Combined with
"How can we prevent/stall/mitigate?" should be "How can we
reduce demand for IPv4 addresses?"  These are not rhetorical:
all are invited to respond.

> I guess I'm skeptical that those holders of the "legacy"
> O(100) /8s will voluntarily return their unused address space
> to ARIN (or other appropriate RIR) out of "enlightened
> self-interest".

I'm not sure we've asked them what it would take to get them
to use address space more efficiently and return the rest.
Um, "Hey, legacy holders!  What would it take to get you to
use address space really conservatively and give the rest
back?"

I have been much more opinionated here than I usually am.  I
want to be very clear that I can't say what other Board
members think, and I'm always open to changing my mind.
This message, and this disclaimer, are terser than the first
draft.

Lee