[ppml] alternative realities (was PIv6 for legacy, holders (/wRSA + efficient use))

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Thu Aug 2 16:43:30 EDT 2007

[My one post to PPML today, forgive me if this is deemed repetitive
or "undemocratic"]

Lee,

Of course, that's not really the question (since the answer is obvious).

If you posit the unlikely universe in which IPv6 isn't deployed when
the IPv4 free pool runs dry, which option would be best for ISPs:

a) telling new customers to go away

or

b) obtaining address space via "non-traditional" means from one of
the holders of the "legacy" O(100) /8s?

As a former large ISP employee, which do you think you'd be
encouraged by your former bosses to choose?

I guess I'm skeptical that those holders of the "legacy" O(100) /8s
will voluntarily return their unused address space to ARIN (or other
appropriate RIR) out of "enlightened self-interest".  As such, those
holders of the "legacy" O(100) /8s will need to be incented to
renumber and/or part with "their" address space.  How do you think
that can realistically be done?

Rgds,
-drc