[ppml] alternative realities

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Thu Aug 2 02:15:46 EDT 2007

> Someone explains me again why I should spend money to upgrade to IPv6?

as an individual, you might not need it yet.  3G phones and all.  double NAT.
(cool stuff, but is it art?  is it impressive enough for the Maker Faire?)

the connectivity community of which you are a part needs IPv6, though.  if
you're only adding endstations to the IPv4 internet and you don't need SIP
to work or are prepared to fiddle endlessly with proxies, you'll be just
fine.  but if someone somewhere wants to add 20M 3G handsets, they can't
use RFC 1918 or any other part of IPv4.  if you want the connectivity
community of which you are a part to continue to grow, you need to be part
of the IPv6 wave.