[ppml] alternative realities

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Thu Aug 2 00:55:18 EDT 2007

Talking about alternative realities, there's one already here that I did
not suspect it was: double-NAT. I'm not talking about China, I'm talking
about mainland USA.

Here's the story: I volunteered to provide WiFi Internet access to a
site-in-the-middle-of-nowhere for 3 days. For free, of course. I decided
that what I could do for the money would be to share my 3G phone. So I
grab another laptop (not mine, heaven forbid), connect the phone to one
of the USB ports and a $35 Belkin WiFi "router" (bought at the closest
Staples) to the Ethernet port, and share the connection by checking the
appropriate box in M$ windblows XP's config. My laptop becomes a DHCP
server and a NAT box.

The only other configuration required is to disable DHCP on the Belkin
and assign a static IP (192.168.0.2) to it, also configure a password,
there will be teens using it.

Half-surprise #1: the IP address I get from the 3G phone is a 10.net.
Darn, the el-cheapo unlimited plan does not entitle one to a real IP
address.

Half-surprise #2: it works just fine. It's built into XP, it takes 30
seconds to configure. It's powered by a 12-volt inverter off the car's
battery. It's double-NAT: my laptop (the DHCP server) hands out IP
addresses out of 192.168.0.0/24.

No, people using it can't host their web site on it, which I don't want
them to in the first place. However, people drive in, power up their
laptop, see only one ESSID (remember, we're in the middle of nowhere),
and connect to it just fine. They can check their email, look at their
stock portfolio, and email the digital picture of their progeniture to
grandma.

Someone explains me again why I should spend money to upgrade to IPv6?
I.S.D.N: I Still Don't Need.

Michel.