[ppml] alternative realities (was PIv6 for legacy holders (/wRSA + efficient use))

Lucy Lynch llynch at civil-tongue.net
Wed Aug 1 12:03:26 EDT 2007

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, David Conrad wrote:

> On Jul 31, 2007, at 3:44 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:
>> can each extant enterprise /8 be carved up into 64K /24's without
>> exploding
>> the global routing table / default free zone / internet core?
>
> I'm told YFRV have indicated we're currently at 10% what routers
> today can handle and by the time we see the shattering of legacy
> space into the routing system, the limits will be much higher.
> Plenty o' room...
>
> NOTE: I do not believe this, however the people paying the bills will
> use arguments along these lines in CEO and board room discussions and
> guess where network operators' input will land?
>
> Anyhow, there won't be an explosion.  As Randy points out elsewhere,
> routing table growth is boiling the frog. See http://en.wikipedia.org/
> wiki/Boiling_frog or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> Tragedy_of_the_commons (Wikipedia is great! :-)).

commons isn't quite right - common pool closer -

"Common pool resources (CPR) are characterised by the difficulty of
excluding actors from using them and the fact that the use by one
individual or group means that less is available for use by others. (The
latter point distinguishes CPR from pure public goods which exhibit both
non excludability and non rivalry in consumption). CPRs include some
fisheries, irrigation systems and grazing areas. Also: A valued natural or
human-made resource or facility in which one person's use subtracts from
another's use and [from which] it is often necessary but difficult to
exclude potential users."

Jointly managing the common-pool is tough and we (collective we:
IANA/RIRs/ISPs/vendors/standards folk/etc.) will need to show a very
high level of co-ordination, fairness, and foresight if we want to have
continued governmental support for the current distributed model of
resource allocation.

A relevant paper from the CPR field:

Common Property,Regulatory Property, and Environmental Protection:.
Comparing Community-Based Management to Tradable Environmental Allowances
Carol M. Rose (2000)
http://dlc.dlib.indiana.edu/archive/00000333/00/rosec041200.pdf

and for some idea of the scale of resources and planning needed to pull
off multi-stakehold common-pool management see:

The Millennium Ecosystem Assessment assessed the consequences of ecosystem
change for human well-being. From 2001 to 2005, the MA involved the work
of more than 1,360 experts worldwide. Their findings provide a
state-of-the-art scientific appraisal of the condition and trends in the
worlds ecosystems and the services they provide, as well as the scientific
basis for action to conserve and use them sustainably...

http://www.millenniumassessment.org/en/Index.aspx

and for a fairly depressing read on how shared resourses drift toward
private property see:

Establishing Ownership: First Possession versus Accession (Thomas Merrill)
http://repositories.cdlib.org/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1174&context=berkeley_law_econ

- Lucy