[ppml] Definition of "Existing Known ISP"

J. Oquendo sil at infiltrated.net
Mon Apr 30 14:06:45 EDT 2007

michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:

> Companies providing services that include connectivity to the Internet
> are Internet Service Providers.  Not just the ones which provide
> Internet access services. Seems reasonable.
>

> Orgs which build and operate IP network infrastructure composed of one
> or more of,
>
>   a) inter-city telecommmunications links
>   b) last-mile telecommunications links
>   c) network-connected data centers
>
> In other words backbones, Internet access and hosting (or PoPs).
> Probably should throw in language to indicate that it is not necessary
> to own the fiber in the ground, or the buildings, but that some
> indication of long-term leases for these is needed.
>

> Bad move. Then it becomes totally ambiguous and includes companies that
> are not in any way involved in telecommunications.

My company was recently shot down on a /21 because we "didn't fit the
profile" of an ISP. My company provides VoIP services including a couple
of entire county infrastructures (Mayor's office included) and a couple
of Universities dormitories, as well as some prep schools. Because we
also have to deal with e911 services and provide managed PBX services,
it became difficult for us to keep a NAT'd insane scheme we had working
and we requested a /21 knowing that 80% of that would have been filled
the moment we'd gotten it. So off went the submission, in came the
rejection. I sincerely hope you guys can re-define the term ISP to fit
today's criteria. Org's composed of the inner-city, last-mile links and
network-connected data centers aren't the only ones who should fall
under these rules. I've seen spammers get blocks quicker then I got a
response telling me my /21 was shot down.

J. Oquendo
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1383A743
echo infiltrated.net|sed 's/^/sil@/g'

"Wise men talk because they have something to say;
fools, because they have to say something." -- Plato