[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-6 - Abandoned

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Apr 27 13:47:09 EDT 2007

On Apr 27, 2007, at 7:44 AM, David Williamson wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 08:32:13PM -0400, Leo Bicknell wrote:
>> There were a
>> wide range of objections in the meeting.
>
> I'm going to do something mildly dumb and think out loud.  Let's
> see if
> we can list the major objections, with the goal of identifying them
> so they can be addressed in a possible future policy submission.  Some
> of these are orthogonal issues, which should make it fun.

;-)  The below list was pretty comprehensive from my point of view, but,
Please permit me to categorize each of these objections such that I
think they can be summarized:
> A * This will cause a run on space.
>
> A * This will lead to an increase in spammers (and other fradulent
> users)
> 	applying for space.
>
> A * It's trivial to show two contracts and consume arbitrary IP space,
> 	so people may try to get space under this policy in order to
> 	horde /24s for a future white/grey/black market.  (It could
> 	be a good investment, to be fair.)
>
> B * Any of the above may cause routing table bloat.
>
> C * This didn't address reducing the minimum for PA space.
>
> C * This didn't go far enough.
>
> A * This will lead to an increase in applications and staff load.

A	I think there was pretty good data to show that these objections
	were mostly "FUD" in the presentation.  Indeed, other than the
	comments about the triviality of bullet 3, I don't recall those
	objections being raised in the room after the presentation and
	the general sense I got from most people was that the other
	points were well addressed.

	I believe that the NRPM already provides sufficient authority for
	staff to address bullet 3 (trivial fraud), but, given the BoT Chair's
	statement to the contrary, I have submitted a policy proposal to
	address this issue.  I agree with David that it is orthogonal to
	this policy (why not hoard /22s instead from the same effort?),
	but, I think it can easily be addressed.

B	Since we're talking about multi-homers, absent fraud, these
	guys are consuming a routing-table slot no matter what, so,
	I don't see bloat as being an issue.

C	Objections to a policy on the basis that it's only a partial
	solution are kind of silly.  That argument is being hashed
	out on 2007-1 in last call right now.

So, it is my sense of the room that had we been able to address
the fraud question, the show of hands probably would have gone
quite differently.  Anyway, bottom line now is that the best way
forward is to make yet another new proposal for this.

Owen