[ppml] Buying time...

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Tue Apr 24 16:41:27 EDT 2007

I don't really agree with the need for "buying" more time for deploying
IPv6. It will take 1, 2 or 3 years more, but there will be no new products
in the market in 1-2 years that don't support IPv6.

Market will not accept it, and manufacturers will have no interest on doing
so, just a matter of competition.

Now, even if (some) ISPs decide not to deploy IPv6, neither transition tools
in their networks, the addresses needed for running IPv4-only devices
(considering the increase in the use of NAT if required), are already there.
We don't need many more IPv4 addresses for keeping the network that we have
today and the grown in the next couple of years.

If we ever do anything, it will be just an artificial measure, never a
perfectly fair solution. There is no way we can decide that we need to
reserve some of the /8s for this or that region. Based on what ? And what if
the development progress on this or that region is different after two years
? It may be a fair distribution now, but it can be radically different in 2
years.

I also believe, as indicated already today in the previous session, that as
much as we progress with IPv6 deployment and more traffic is dominant versus
IPv4 one, there will be more and more core/distribution/access networks that
will turn to be only-IPv6 instead of dual stack (always keeping the LANs
with dual stack, even with private IPv4 and NAT), using mechanisms such as
softwires to automatically setup IPv4-in-IPv6 tunnels for those
applications/hosts that are not yet (or never will be) IPv6 ready. This will
mean that some of the today used IPv4 addressing space may be returned, very
slowly, and reused just in case new networks appear and they still decide to
be dual stack for whatever reason (I tend to think that it will not make
sense if IPv6 traffic is becoming dominant, but may be cases that I'm not
thinking about).

Regards,
Jordi