[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-8: Transfer Policy Clarifications

Azinger, Marla marla.azinger at frontiercorp.com
Sun Apr 22 18:29:58 EDT 2007

Ed and All-  I'm a little behind getting my response out, sorry.  I think your concerns about wording should be looked at.  Hopfully I'm not missing some postings to this that already resolved your concerns.  If there are...just ignore this email. ;o)

I worked on some rewrites of the text you are concerned about.  I thought it might be good to have some rewritten text suggestions put out to everyone so that if we decide we dont like how it is currrently written, we can already start looking at another way of saying "what we mean".  So here are my suggestions to the parts that may need some rewriting.

1. Current proposal verbage:
"It should be understood that number resources are not "sold" under ARIN
administration. Rather, number resources are assigned to an organization
for its exclusive use for the purpose stated in the request, provided
the terms of the Registration Services Agreement continue to be met and
the stated purpose for the number resources remains the same. Number
resources are administered and assigned according to ARIN's published
policies."

Suggested Rewrite:
Number Resources are managed as a finite resource and not as a commodity.  Number resources are assigned or allocated to an organization for its exclusive use for the purpose stated in the request, provided the terms of the registration services agreement continue to be met and the stated purpose for the Number Resources remains the same.  Number Resources are to be managed in accordance with ARIN's Published Policies.

2. Current proposal verbage:
"Number resources are issued, based on justified need, to organizations,
not to individuals representing those organizations. Thus, if a company
goes out of business, regardless of the reason, the point of contact
(POC) listed for the number resource does not have the authority to
sell, transfer, assign, or give the number resource to any other person
or organization. The POC must notify ARIN if a business fails so the
assigned number resources can be returned to the available pool of
number resources if a transfer is not requested and justified."

Suggested Rewrite:
Under the circumstance of an organization closure where said organization has Number Resources from ARIN, said organization must notify ARIN to either return the Number Resources to ARIN or transfer the Number Resources in accordance with ARIN Policy (reference section 8.2 and 8.3).

Cheers!
Marla