[ppml] the "other" policy proposals

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Sun Apr 8 14:55:22 EDT 2007

Thus spake "Martin Hannigan" <martin.hannigan at batelnet.bs>
> Should Board Members be proposing, and defending, proposed
> policies?

Yes, they should.  We elect people to the BoT and AC on the basis that
they're smart and understand how this stuff works better than the rest of
us.  To muzzle them once they get into office, and thus deny ourselves the
very wisdom we elected them to use, is counter-productive.  I _want_ to know
what the BoT and AC members think of the various proposals.

> This seems to border on a coerced confession to some extent,
> something that "appears" to carry the full weight of the board.

Hardly; the BoT and AC can't coerce the community except by mishandling
their official duties, and if they wanted to do that they wouldn't need to
bother with PPML in the first place.  Someone stating his opinion,
particularly without pointing out he's a BoT/AC member, is hardly coercion.
Some readers may give his words more weight, but the same is true for any of
the other "high profile" contributors on PPML that have no official capacity
at all.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov