[ppml] the "other" policy proposals

Martin Hannigan martin.hannigan at batelnet.bs
Sun Apr 8 13:24:59 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net>
To: Martin Hannigan <martin.hannigan at batelnet.bs>
Cc: Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz>, ppml at arin.net
Subject: Re: [ppml] the "other" policy proposals
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 18:56:55 -0700 (PDT)

>     > Should Board Members be proposing, and defending,
> proposed
>     > policies?
>
> You've made your thoughts on that matter very, very clear,
> to all who will  listen, many many times.

Let's make sure the issues don't run together. First, what
have I made clear? That I wonder if Board Members should be
pushing policy? Um, no, actually, I've never said that
before. You made me think of that.

> I've run, and
> won, twice, on the platform that  I'm interested in, and
> have been successful at, working on achieving  advances in
> ARIN policy which have widespread support.  This is not a
> boast or some kind of claim of anything special, it's just
> work.  I've  offered to do that work, and the membership
> has, twice, taken me up on  that offer.  I'm not going to
> rescind that offer, once accepted, because  you don't like
> it.  If I decide to run again, you're very welcome to
> either run against me, on a platform of not working, or to
> campaign  against me, on the platform that I shouldn't
> work.

I appreciate a good slamming and can take it, but let's
stay on-topic. Should board members be pushing policy
that they are going to vote on? It was a very simple
thought,
and not even conclusive or authoritative.

> Going behind the membership's back and trying to get
> non-public policy  made that precludes that work is
> dishonest and underhanded, and just makes  all the more
> work for me.  I'd really rather you stopped doing it.

Really? I call "BS", Bill. If you have some information that
the rest of us don't have, bring it on. Else, I accept your
apology.

Best,

-M<