[ppml] the "other" policy proposals

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Sat Apr 7 03:51:17 EDT 2007

Hi Ed,

First thanks for the inputs. Then, clarification regarding 2006-7.

My original proposal was probably closer to the text that you're suggesting,
and not restricted to "new". However the previous round of comments in the
list was appearing as most of the folks participating prefer what we have
now.

In favor of the existing text I will say that those that supported the
previous version also should support this one (seems to me better to have
this than nothing), as it is somehow more restrictive, but at least a first
step towards the objective, and if deemed necessary, we could propose in the
future, if this version gets approved, new modifications.

And to make it very clear this is NOT intended at all to be a new path for
PI.

Last, to explain again the intend of the proposal: There are ISPs (not
end-users) that can't start IPv6 services unless they start also before with
IPv4 and they come back for IPv6. But is even more important to realize that
ISPs may have plans for less than 200 customers (and a good business plan
behind even if this is not the ARIN question to look at) and still have the
right to access to IPv6 (and looking to their upstream is not a solution as
they may want to avoid depending on addresses from others to avoid
renumbering or to allow multihoming).

In the last meeting "open policy" session, a couple of folks (ISPs) clearly
indicated that they are in this situation. I wish they speak up *now*
especially if they aren't coming to the meeting.

Regarding 2007-4: All policies are "interim" in the sense that they are
subjected to changes. So why the other policies don't say so ? It is a
question of fairness and avoiding what some folks when reading the policy
could consider as "oh IPv6 is still interim, not good, let's wait". I will
say that if we are not in favor of this change, we should write interim in
all the other policies also.

Regards,
Jordi